Product version used
|VMware vRealize Log Insight||4.3.0 Build 5084751|
Deployment of vRealize Log Insight
A simple deployment of vRealize Log Insight was performed using the OVA appliance available from VMware site.
Below are some of the key details that we need to know before getting started and is covered in the above document.
- Network Port requirement [Page 10]
- Types of deployment supported [Page10]
- Life cycle of an event [Page 15]
- vRealize Log Insight Sizing Calculator [Page 12]
Use static IP addresses (and FQDN ) for all nodes in a vRealize Log Insight cluster nodes and load balanacer. Refer doc.
vRealize Log Insight reference architecture
VMware vRealize Log Insight Calculator : http://www.vmware.com/go/loginsight/calculator
Getting started with OVA deployment :
Source : http://pubs.vmware.com/log-insight-43/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/log-insight-getting-started-guide.pdf [Please go through the document before deployment for do’s and don’t]
- Select the vSphere Deploy OVF Template option.
- Enter the path to the vRealize Log Insight OVA file ( “[local drive]:\VMware-vRealize-Log-Insight-4.3.0-5084751.ova” ).
- Proceed with the prompt which shows the vRealize Log Insight template details
- Accept the VMware End user license agreement and click next.
- Specify the name and Inventory location to deploy the template to (Name of the deployed VM : vRealize Log Insight and location : [vCenter Server Name]/[Datacenter Name]/[Host & Cluster Name]/[Resource Pool Name]) and click next.
- Select Configuration size for the virtual machine ( Configuration :Small has been selected to monitor 2000 VMs and the size of this deployment is 4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, 510GB for storage [Thick Provisioned Eagered Zero is the higly suitable disk type] ) and click next.
OptionLog Ingest RateVirtual CPUsMemoryIOPSSyslog Connections (Active TCP Connections)Events per Second
Extra Small 6 GB/day 2 4 GB 75 20 400 Small 30 GB/day 4 8 GB 500 100 2000 Medium 75 GB/day 8 16 GB 1000 250 5000 Large 225 GB/day 16 32 GB 1500 750 15,000
- If you select Large, you must upgrade the virtual hardware on the vRealize Log Insight virtual machine after the deployment.
- Select the host cluster to which you want to deploy the VM to (Selected [Host and cluster] as the host cluster for deployment) and click next.
- Select the resource pool to deploy the VM too (Under [Host and Clusters]we have [Resource Pool] which has been selected as destination) and click next.
- Select destination datastore [where we want to store the deployed VM] and click next.
- Select the disk format to store the virtual disks (options) Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed, Thick Provision Eager Zeroed, Thin provisioned (select : Thinprovision for minimal storage usage) and click next.
- Select the destination networks (select a virtual machine port group) and click next
- In Properties, please provide Networking Properties and other properties details and click on Next to proceed.
- Select the check box for Power on after deployment under Ready to Complete and click Finish.
- It will take few minutes for deployment to complete.
Post OVA Deployment configuration of vRealize Log Insight appliance
Once the VM has been deployed and powered ON we would need to access the IP address provided during the deployment of OVA on a web browser like firefox, IE or chrome and we would see a web based UI with following options.
- On accessing the IP address from a web browser we will get a security exception while opening the web UI, we need to add an exception for it on the browser (needs to be done one time only).
- Post adding the exception the page will reload and show the below option, click on Next to continue further.
- Choose the Deployment type, since this is a new install we will select Start New Installation.
- It will take a few minutes for the deployment to complete and to display options for further configuration.
- It will prompt to provide credential for admin account and it needs an email address.
- Click on Save and Continue.
- Next it asks you to provide the License key, it is not mandatory to add the license key right now, it can be added later on as well.
- Please provide email addresses to which we need to send the notifications too and if we want to join the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- Provide Time Configuration, time can be synced with NTP server or with ESXi hosts time.
- SMTP configuration detail needs to be provided.
- Click on Finish and this completes the wizard.
Note : Since this was investigation, we went ahead with single node log insight deployment.
Starting the vSphere Integration with vRealize Log Insight
- Navigate to the IP address of vRealize Log Insight and log on to the UI using the credential.
- Click on and click on Administration and on this window click on vSphere under Integration heading.
- Provide the vCenter server or ESXi FQDN / IP here for monitoring.
- Provide admin credential to log on to vRealize log insight.
- Click on test connection to verify the connection, message appears saying Test successful.
- And click on save to update it on the log insight services.
- A message pops-up saying Configuration completed successfully.